Introducing Sophie Yuan from the Golden Oriental Ancient Tea Estate in Thailand with her first contribution to T Ching. Her article is the first we’ve published about the mysterious tea from Ancient Tea Trees.
What is Ancient Tree Tea?
Ancient Tree Tea, also known as “古樹茶” in Chinese, refers to a type of tea made from fresh leaves harvested from trees that are over 100 years old. These ancient trees undergo traditional crafting techniques, where one bud and two leaves are carefully selected, then fried and sun-dried to create the exquisite tea leaves. Besides the regular Ancient Tree Tea, these leaves can also be used to produce Ancient Tree Black Tea, Ancient Tree White Tea, and Ancient Tree Sheng Pu’er.
Compared to other tea varieties, Ancient Tree Tea exhibits robust and plump appearance with longer stems and a lustrous dark color. Growing in untouched forests with limited sunlight exposure, the tea trees take their time to flourish, resulting in leaves that retain their tender quality and boast rich content. When brewed, the tea yields a vibrant golden hue, releasing a captivating fragrance and offering a sweet and smooth taste that endures many many infusions, revealing a lasting aftertaste.
Is Ancient Tree Tea truly distinct from other tea varieties?
Indeed, Ancient Tree Tea stands out for several fundamental reasons:
1. The defining feature of Ancient Tree Tea lies in the age of the tea trees, which must be over 100 years old. Older tea trees possess well-developed root systems, enabling them to absorb more nutrients for the tender buds. With large, lofty crowns, these trees have more leaves participating in photosynthesis, promoting healthier growth and infusing the tea with intensified aromas and flavors.
2. In modern large-scale tea plantations, pesticide and chemical fertilizer usage is challenging to avoid, impacting both the aroma and taste of the tea. On the contrary, Ancient Tree Tea’s deep-rooted nature ensures it requires no artificial watering or fertilization, relying solely on its roots to obtain necessary water and nutrients. Consequently, the tea leaves are richer in minerals. Furthermore, a balanced ecological environment and diverse plant life in the natural habitat of ancient trees reduce the occurrence of pests and diseases, eliminating concerns about excessive pesticide residues.
3. Ancient Tea Trees grow in pristine, dense forests with limited sunlight exposure, leading to slow growth and highly tender leaves filled with valuable compounds. The unique mountainous essence, abundant floral fragrance, and smooth, full-bodied taste create a refreshing sensation, leaving a long-lasting sweet aftertaste that lingers on the palate.
However, consumers need to be cautious as the scarcity of genuine Ancient Tree Tea leads to an influx of counterfeit products in the market.
How to Distinguish Authentic Ancient Tree Tea?
1. The most straightforward indicator is the tea’s steeping endurance. Regular tea usually loses its flavor after a few infusions, while authentic Ancient Tree Tea remains flavorful and vibrant even after around 20 brews.
2. The appearance of the brewed tea is another essential indicator. Due to its high amino acid content, Ancient Tree Tea presents a tea with a vivid yellow-green color when freshly made, evolving into a rich golden hue after several years of aging.
3. When savoring Ancient Tree Tea, its delightful and delicate flavor will spread throughout the mouth and down the throat. The abundance of tea amino acids stimulates the nervous system, triggering dopamine production, leading to a sense of relaxation and joy. After just a few cups, the body gently perspires, facilitating blood circulation and metabolism.
While these are subjective individual experiences, the best approach to identify genuine Ancient Tree Tea is to find a reputable supplier with a track record of providing authentic products. By accumulating experience through tasting teas from reliable brands, one can develop the discernment needed to differentiate real Ancient Tree Tea from imitations.
Golden Oriental Ancient Tea – The Source of Authentic Ancient Tree Tea
Situated deep within the pristine forests of Northern Thailand, at elevations ranging from 1300 to 1800 meters, lies the Golden Oriental Ancient Tea Plantation. The estate encompasses seven Ancient Tea Mountains and a distinguished Ancient Tea Plantation, all adorned with century-old, lush large-leafed tea trees, interwoven with flowing rivers, creating a unique and naturally abundant micro-ecosystem. The symphony of bird songs and the fragrance of blossoming flowers permeate the air, surrounded by lush greenery, providing an ideal ecological environment for tea trees to flourish.
Embracing a family-based management approach, Golden Oriental exclusively produces and markets tea leaves from its own tea mountains, ensuring the utmost quality and consistency in every batch of Ancient Tree Tea. In the pursuit of an unadulterated cup of Ancient Tree Tea, the company deeply cherishes the original forests and dedicates itself to crafting only premium teas, safeguarding the journey for tea enthusiasts worldwide seeking an authentic, untainted tea experience. From being a pioneering new tea farmer to becoming a connoisseur of luxury teas – Golden Oriental Ancient Tea is here to accompany all on their quest for the purest essence of tea.
Meet the author, Sophie Yuan
Hello everyone! I’m Sophie Yuan from the Golden Oriental Ancient Tea Estate.
I love tea. I cherish the health and tranquility that tea brings me. I’ve always aspired to make a living through tea and create a peaceful and prosperous lifestyle of my own. For over a decade, I’ve been searching across various regions in Yunnan, China, for the tea plantation destined for me. Six years ago, due to a serendipitous opportunity, I traveled to Chiang Mai, Thailand. Lost in a primitive forest village, I stumbled upon the tea estate that would become a pivotal part of my life. Vast expanses of untouched ancient tea gardens in the heart of pristine forests left me in awe.
From a simple love for tea to becoming a tea farmer. From an initial observer to investor to now overcoming challenges to produce a cup of clean, premium ancient tree tea, I’ve become an unwavering producer of tea. The six years have brought more than a lifetime’s worth of experiences.
The happiest moments are when tea enthusiasts from all around the world acknowledge and support us. We’re continuously learning, growing, and striving to improve, step by step. We’re getting better and better. Thank you for your trust and support 🙏🙏🙏