Estimated Reading Time: 1 minute, 15 seconds ( + 4 minute, 19 second video )
Tea company owner/former barista shows fun, easy way to make ‘better than coffee house’ shaken iced tea at home. Tropical Black loose tea available here.
What you’ll need
- Two insulated travel tumblers
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring cup
- 1 TBS loose tea
- Sweetener of choice to taste
- 20 oz. ice (pack inside one tumbler)
Steps to making shaken iced tea
- Put loose tea in travel tumbler, add 9 oz. hot water (195F for black tea, 170-175F for green or white tea)
- Put cover on tumbler and steep 4 min. for black tea, 2-3 to taste for green and white tea
- Pour steeped infusion of tea through strainer into measuring cup and pour over iced-filled travel tumbler.
- Put lid on tumbler and shake, shake, shake for about a minute
- Drink in tumbler or pour into tall, frosty glass
I hope you enjoy this short video on how to make professional barista-style shaken iced tea at home. Tea-bag tea can never match loose-leaf tea because it is literally the sweepings, or dust, that big tea companies buy cheaply to put into tea bags. Tea leaves are put through a series of sievings and the leaves stay in the sieves, while the ‘dust’ falls through.
Sachets also cannot match loose tea, because tea needs to float free while steeping to achieve optimum results in infusion/flavor.
Check out the previous video in this series: How To Brew Loose Leaf Indian Tea: Assam & Darjeeling