Wednesday October 4, 2017 | 1 comment
Everyone is looking to get healthy while still enjoying interesting foods and drinks. This is one of the reasons why green tea in its many variations have grown more and more in popularity these days. One type of tea that is made of green tea leaves that has recently begun to gain more notice is the Gyokuro tea. It is considered to be the most luxurious and therefore expensive teas, making it highly coveted among aficionados. Whether you know about this tea type or whether you are brand new to it, we have some of the most surprising facts about Gyokuro below.
- This kind of tea was discovered in 1835 and has been gaining popularity ever since. It has only recently, however, come into the public eye enough to be included in cancer research studies and other health studies.
- In 1835, tea merchant Kahei Yamamoto VI accidentally created a new type of tea. The family that he stayed with had covered their tea plants to protect them from frost. He took the leaves rolled them up into small balls, and found that he liked the taste when they were brewed. This was the beginning of Gyokuro tea. He sold the new tea under the name “Bead of Dew”. Now know as Gyokuro.
- Gyokuro translates to “jewel/jade dew”, which refers to the pale green tint it gets when infused. It is an appropriate name for this tea, which produces a wonderfully rich green color.
- The Gyokuro plant is shaded from the sun for 20 days with specially made straw mats, which allow the caffeine levels to increase in the leaves, as well as allowing the amino acids to get stronger, producing a sweeter and stronger flavor. Because of the cultivation process, the leaves have a very particular odor that is impossible to confuse
- Since the leaves are covered for such a long period of time throughout the cultivation process, the tea leaves are dark, creating a dark tea that is almost a mossy green. Its richness in color translates to a richness in taste, as well, with layers of flavors that never overpower one another.
- The sweetness of the Gyokuro tea is one of the reasons why people love it so much. It has a rich, multi layered flavor that is unlike any other kind of green tea
- It has powerful antioxidants that can boost your immune system. This tea can also help speed up your metabolism, which is one of the reasons why lots of people use add it to their diet plans. Since it also hikes up your energy levels, it can be a great substitute for coffee, and one that does not stain your teeth or cause other issues, like coffee can do.
- It can fight free radicals, meaning that it can help prevent cancers. People who add it to their diets regularly have seen a decrease in their likelihood of developing cancer, as seen in the study published in “Cancer Research” in 2006. Most green teas are known for their ability to combat free radicals, but the Gyokuro is the one with the strongest evidence proving it.
- It is a tea that is very healthy for the heart. It reduces the fatty buildups in the arteries that can cause heart disease of all types. For people with a history of heart issues, it can be a great idea to turn to Gyokuro tea.
- Hepatitis is another disease that can be combated with this tea since it helps stimulate the liver. It can also work as a shield for the liver against toxic substances like alcohol.
- Gyokuro also helps combat diabetes. It can maintain blood glucose levels at the correct rates, preventing issues with this disease. This can be a great thing to keep in mind if your family has a history of diabetes and you want to do what you can to stop it from developing in your own body.
- When you first begin drinking this tea, you may experience some insomnia. This is because of the high caffeine levels that the cultivation process produces. Most people see this symptom resolve quickly once the body becomes used to the tea.
- Gyokuro is a surprising way to keep your mouth and teeth strong. Because of its high fluoride content and mineral content, it can prevent tooth decay and mouth infections from developing. It can also help keep your teeth strong and looking white. If you have issues with bad breath, then this tea can also help. It can reduce bacteria in the mouth, which, in turn reduces bad breath.
- Although Gyokuro tea bags have come into the market, it can be a good idea to use the leaves. With the leaves, you know you are getting the full flavor without any chemicals or extra processing.
- This kind of tea is the most expensive green tea you can buy. This is because of the long cultivation process and the delicacy of the plants. It is well worth the cost, however, which is why it has slowly become more and more popular.
- Although there are some companies that are starting to sell this tea in the United States, most of the options you will have are Japanese. This is another reason why the cost of the product is so high, since it needs to be shipped directly from Japan.
- Gyokuro is not the best option for children. This is because it has a high caffeine content that can product agitation. If this is a concern, be sure to speak with your child’s doctor before giving them tea that is this strong.
- This tea is steeped at a much lower temperature than other teas. This is why it is important to have a preheated tea pot so that when you transfer the water, it remains hot. Steeping at a low temperature for a longer period of time allows the flavors to really grow.
- When searching for an online place in which to buy Gyokuro tea, be sure to do a lot of research. You want to see images of the products and you want to ensure that you are getting authentic tea. Look for information on where the company gets the tea from, which will usually be Japan.
- This tea can have different flavors from one strain to another. You will find different blends if you buy online, so do not expect them all to taste exactly the same.
Above article is one of the chapters in my book Green Tea Mania : 250+ Green Tea Facts, Cooking and Brewing Tips & Trivia You (Probably) Didn’t Know